Friday, August 11, 2017

Review : The Smallest Thing

The Smallest Thing by Lisa Manterfield

Genre:  Yound Adult, Romance, Fiction, Contemporary,
Goodreads : Click
Purchase Link: Amazon | BN | Kobo
Pages: 328
PublishedJuly 18th 2017 by Steel Rose Press
 The very last thing 17-year-old Emmott Syddall wants is to turn out like her dad. She’s descended from ten generations who never left their dull English village, and there’s no way she’s going to waste a perfectly good life that way. She’s moving to London and she swears she is never coming back. 

But when the unexplained deaths of her neighbors force the government to quarantine the village, Em learns what it truly means to be trapped. Now, she must choose. Will she pursue her desire for freedom, at all costs, or do what’s best for the people she loves: her dad, her best friend Deb, and, to her surprise, the mysterious man in the HAZMAT suit? 

Inspired by the historical story of the plague village of Eyam, this contemporary tale of friendship, community, and impossible love weaves the horrors of recent news headlines with the intimate details of how it feels to become an adult—and fall in love—in the midst of tragedy.




Emmott is ready to get out of the house and do her own thing. When a series of outbreaks occur in her town everything is put on lock down. Now shes trapped in town while people are dropping like flies,  her father is going out all the time to aid neighbors risking his life, her best friends family has her on her own form of lock down and she wants nothing more then ever but to leave this town behind.

My expectations on this book wasn't must. I don't remember requesting this book but it was in my kindle and the cover had me curious. I think I might've requested it under the impression that it might've been one of those types of outbreaks books with zombies. Thing is not sure where I even got that idea from. So when I did decide to pick this book up I was a by iffy about it being that it was different from anything I've ever read. This book also turned out a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting to to like this book as much as I did. I loved seeing the growth of the main character Emmott and seeing how she was dealing with her family but also learning in times of crisis who is really there for eachother. Who can anyone trust? I loved that this book managed to have plenty of things that kept me entertained and although there is a bit of interest between Emmott and another character that bit of romance between the two didnt over power the main story line. This book is very different from all the books that I've read and I'm glad I got a chance to get it, it really was fascinating and I'd highly recommend any of you readers looking for a different and interesting book to check this book out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...